Each candidate was sent the same set of questions.
This is the response of Linda D. Bernard J.D., LL.M:
ELECT ATTORNEY LINDA D. BERNARD
BOARD OF POLICE COMMISSIONERS – DIST-2
A WARRIOR FOR JUSTICE AND POLICE ACCOUNTABILITY!
17144 Wildemere Dr., Ste. 1000, Detroit, MI 48221
T – (313) 864-6785
F – (313) 864-6737
E – email@example.com
- ASSIST IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF A “COMMAND STRUCTURE” THAT PROTECTS ALL CITIZENS AND WORKS IN “PARTNERSHIP” WITH THE COMMUNITY.
- PROHIBIT PROMOTION OF OFFICERS WHO ARE CRIMINALLY CONVICTED OF CRIMES WHILE ON DUTY AND PLACE THEIR NAMES ON A PUBLIC REGISTRY.
- PROHIBIT THE USE AND THREATENED USE OF PARAMILITARY FORCE & EQUIPMENT AGAINST CITIZENS EXERCISING THEIR RIGHT TO PEACEFUL PROTESTS.
- MANDATE THE USE OF BODY CAMS AND DASH CAMS BY POLICE AT ALL TIMES WHEN MAKING A STOP OR AN ARREST.
- RE-AFFIRM FREE SPEECH RIGHTS AT BOPC MEETINGS AND NOT PROHIBIT OR LIMIT FREE SPEECH IN VIOLATION OF THE RULES OF ORDER.
- PROVIDE INCREASED OVERSIGHT OF POLICE OPERATIONS, BUDGET, ETC. BY REQUIRING FULL DISCLOSURE AND REPORTS TO THE BOARD ON MATTERS OF COMMUNITY OR BOARD MEMBER CONCERN.
- ESTABLISH A REVIEW PROCEDURE (WHICH INCLUDES POLICE PERSONNEL AND NON-DEPARTMENT REPRESENTATIVES) OF ALL CASES INVOLVING THE USE OF DEADLY FORCE RESULTING IN SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.
** Atty. Linda Bernard is a licensed attorney in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and the District of Columbia, The U.S. Supreme Court, and numerous other Federal Courts. She is the former Chief Counsel and CEO of Neighborhood Legal Services, a MI Civil Rights Comm. Hearings Officer Detroit Administrative Law Judge.
** She is a lifelong resident of the Second District, Graduate of St. Gregory High School (Magna Cum Laude); Wayne State University Montieth Honors College (B.A..); Wayne State University Law School (J.D.), and the University of Pennsylvania Law School (Masters of Law, LL.M.), First African American Graduate.
LINDA ARGUED AND WON 3 IMPORTANT CASES IN THE MI SUPREME COURT!!