How will your name appear on the ballot?
What do you believe qualifies you to be on the Detroit Charter Commission?
Lifelong Citizen of the City of Detroit and active community member.
Why do you want to be on the Detroit Charter Commission?
I want to ensure that the revisions are in the best interest of all that live within the City of Detroit.
Would you support keeping a Board of Police Commissioners in the revised charter?
Would you support keeping a system whereby the majority of the Police Commissioners are elected?
Would you support the election of some of the Commissioners by district?
Would you support the requirement that Commissioners be civilians at the time they are elected?
Check powers or responsibilities you would like Police Commissioners to retain:
In consultation with the Chief of Police, and with the approval of the Mayor establish policies, rules and regulations.
Review and approve the departmental budget before its submission to the Mayor.
Receive and resolve, as provided in this chapter, any complaint concerning the operation of the Police Department and forward all allegations of criminality to the appropriate internal or external law enforcement agency for further investigation.
Make an annual report to the Mayor, the City Council, and the public of the department’s activities during the previous year, including the handling of crime and complaints, and of future plans.
The Board shall also appoint a Chief Investigator and such additional staff of investigators as it deems necessary.
Do you think it is a conflict of interest for former Detroit Police Officers to serve on the BOPC?
I affirm the above statement. *
• I affirm that I will work to create a charter that contains the following provisions, and will only vote to have a draft of the charter presented to the people, to be voted on, if it contains these provisions:
• A civilian Board of Police Commissioners.
• The requirement that the majority of the Board be elected.
• The requirement that some of the commissioners be elected from compact districts.
• A requirement of residency in the region the commissioner represents as a qualification for holding that office.
• Oversight powers being assigned to the Board that are at least as extensive as those possessed under the current charter.